Monday, September 7, 2009

A Passion for Discovery; A Passion for a Play

In life, discovery never ends. I realized this when watching the first online video program of my 7 yr. old granddaughter, "Avery Discovers." In the video, she shares her likes and dislikes of her favorite new characters created by The Littlest Pet Shop. How does that fit in to the description of my blog? Well, I've wanted to start my own blog for a long time, but could never come up with a title that captured the essence of what I envisioned as the content of my blog.

Having three careers in community radio, television and my small business, I wondered how I could connect my experiences in a cohesive flow on a blog. Then it came to me! Just like Avery, my blog would be about discovery. Every day, in every aspect of my life, I have the pleasure of meeting new people, new organizations and businesses that are doing important and exciting things. Even at my age (not to be published, please), I was not only continuing the discovery process (sounds a bit like legalese, doesnt' it?), but I seem to have developed a greater appetite for discovery today, more than any other time in my life. So that's what my blog is all about. I hope the reader comes along for this great life discovery ride with me. Read on.

Have you ever heard of the play, "Woyzeck"? Written by George Buchner, it's about a German soldier's isolation and gradual descent into madness. It is an absurdly comic, genuinely poignant, and dramatically provocative portrait of a poor man whose final act tragically destroys the only thing he truly loves. Directed by the extremely talented Glenn Stuart, Professor of Theatre at New England College, the play is presented by The Open Door Theatre at the College on September 18 and 19 at 7:30 pm and September 20 at 3:00 pm.

Glenn was on my show on WKXL's Coffee Chat last Friday and I was struck by his tremendous passion for the play and of the author who died before completing the piece in the early 1800's.
I hope you'll plan on seeing the show and supporting the work of this outstanding theatre company and cast.

New England College's contributions to local theatre is worth discovering. For more on the production:
http://www.nec.edu/news/july-17-19-nec-open-door-theatre-presents-woyzeck

3 comments:

  1. woo hoo! My mother is blogging! Congrats.

    Your daughter,
    Christine
    @cmajor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to find you doing this, Doris. You certainly are someone who discovers a lot about our community and has a positive hand in a lot of what happens in Concord!

    Thanks for promoting NEC Theatre in your first blog, too. Everything I've ever attended by the Theatre Dept. there has been very high quality, surprisingly so for a small college, and well worth the trip to Henniker!

    Jemi Broussard

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool to see you blogging, Doris. Can't wait for the future discoveries!

    ReplyDelete